Hopeful Cyster

Monday, August 28, 2006

Where is the Help!?!?

Yesterday I went to Barn's & Nobles to buy some books my husband needed for school. While he was looking for the things he needed, I went to the health section and I was looking through the women's health section, there were so many books on menopause, diet, mental health, A whole new section on pregnancy, AIDS, and so many other subjects. I was actually looking for a book on infertility especially PCOS. I found only ONE book on causes of infertility in which only a page was dedicated to PCOS. There was one book on PCOS, I grabbed it and started reading it. Most of the information in the book was information I already knew. But what surprised me was that out of over thousand of books in that store only one was about PCOS, a problem that more than 8% of women have.

I started thinking of my past experience with doctors. Not a lot of doctors know about this syndrome and those who do know about it don't know much. It took 10 doctors before I was told I had PCOS. And not even that....The doctor told me I had Stein-Leventhal syndrome. I was 16 years old, How was I supposed to know what that was. All the doctor said was that it was an imbalance of hormones that affected my ovaries. That explanation did not help at all. (and he wasn't even right) I went home and did some research on-line. (And I am still doing research). Doctors don't know what this syndrome is, how it affects women (physically and mentally) or what to do to help us. The doctor gave me bcp to treat PCOS, they didn't help much. And now that I read some bloggs here I found that there are other medications to treat this. Why was I never told!!!!

Most doctors are in school for over 10 years. Why don't they know about a problem this problem. Why is it so hard to find help.

The more I read about this syndrome the more frustrated I get!!!

2 Comments:

  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger infertility just sucks said…

    I've had a similar experience at bookstores - there just aren't a lot of books about infertility in general and it's so frustrating! I have this insatiable thirst for information...thank goodness Dr. Google will tell me anything I want to know. If I did not have Google I think I would seriously flip out.

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger ☆ Loren ☆ said…

    Hello! I came across your blog today,I have been TTC almost 2 years. Im 22 and my husband is 29. I rarely find women my age going through the same struggles as myself. I wanted to suggest a few books. Taking Charge of your fertility by Toni Weschler, It is the best book out there as far as information! In pursuit of fertility is another good one. And last but not least The Baby Trail by Sinead Moriarty is an awsome Novel to read when TTC...it makes you feel a little more normal! lol! Well i wish you the best and would love to keep up with your blog! You can check mine out at: http://waitingfortwopinklines.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home